Wednesday, June 10, 2015

MC Raven Trip Report 11



MC Raven Trip Report 11
Well, I’ve made it to Dawson Creek, BC. Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway. I just checked and it seems I’ve gone about 4000 miles so far. The illness I developed in the Black Hills is still hanging with me. Still coughing and snuffling.
Click on all images to enlarge
 
It’s been pretty much a series of interstate drone riding since Great Falls, Montana. I did manage to find a few adventures along the way but, to my mind, the real adventure starts here in Dawson Creek.
I got through Customs Canada with only about a 20-minute delay. They just couldn’t believe I hadn’t brought along some kind of self-protection: guns, pepper spray, scud missiles, etc. A quick search of my bags and, I was back on the road. I suspect that driving on an Alaska driver’s license while riding a South Dakota registered bike was unusual enough to tweak their interest. When our travel trailer was still registered in Washington State and our truck was registered in Alaska and we were headed north Christine and I had similar problems crossing the border (at this same location!).

My first stop (after the Visitor’s Center to get maps) was the McD’s in Lethbridge. One of the workers was quite interested in the bike and my trip. She suggested that I go to Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump. What’s a Buffalo Jump (about 3-feet! Badda-bump-bump)? I asked. 

Apparently, in the time before first contact and the adoption of horses and guns, native peoples on the plains would dress up as wolves and stampede the buffalo herd off cliffs then gather the meat (sometimes letting it age over the winter). Seems like a good idea. And, the Head-Smashed-In part?

Well, the story goes that this young man (a chief’s son in some versions) hid under the cliff where it undercut the edge (like standing behind a waterfall) to watch the buffalo fall past him. Either the pile of buffalo crushed him or, one kicked out and smashed his head in. This story just cracked me up! I could picture all these buffalos doing the Wiley Coyote oops thing. Where’s my ACME parachute?
I’m sure the young man had to sneak off to watch the buffalo-fall. His mother surely would have told him “Don’t you hide under that cliff! You’ll get your head smashed in!” Or was it you’ll shoot your eye out? Kids! You can’t tell them anything!


I think that’s the cliff with the undercut on the left-center.

Before Dawsons Creek I stopped to check out the giant Beaver at Beaver Lodge. Here's my shot of a giant beaver:
 

After Dawsons Creek, my first night was at Fort Nelson. There were large forest fires all around the back country. Even in town the smoke was very thick and choking. Ash was falling everywhere: I set my jacket down to erect my tent, when I picked it up again it was covered with ash just like a snowfall.

After Ft Nelson, I visited the spot along the highway where Christine and I used to camp each trip up the highway. It’s a wonderful place right alongside the river with stunning mountains rising up on every side.


Saw these guys just north of the Hot Springs. Wonder how high they can jump.


Since the rains were threatening to return, I spent the night at Liard Hot Springs and got an early start up the highway.  

Yipee! I made it to the Yukon!

I stopped for early-lunch at Watson Lake then pressed on to Teslin.


Watson Lake’s famous street sign forest.
Tomorrow Whitehorse and the beginning of the Klondike Highway leading to the ‘Top of the World Highway’.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home