Monday, May 11, 2015

MC Raven Trip Report 3



Day 3 Log
268.3 Miles Today, 592.3 Miles Total
Tonight I’m camping in Green Valley Campground outside Creston, Iowa. I’ve battled wind and windmills, checked out the Covered Bridges of Madison County (also the birthplace of John Wayne), put lots of miles on my bike (and backside), endured 85+ degree temps and had a spectacular sunrise this morning. Pics of all these adventures follow (except the backside ones). 


I’ve decided to try a new strategy: stopping every hour or two just to walk around a bit, drink some water and work the kinks out of my joints and backside. I’ve had to remind myself that there’s no hurry. You don’t have to do everything first. So, I went to see the covered bridges. I visited a park in a small town, I drank a lot of water (remember the 85+ temps) and, ended up putting 50 more miles on the odometer and arrived more rested than yesterday after driving a shorter distance.

Much of today’s riding was on dirt roads: campground access roads, city park roads and, 3-miles there and 3-miles back from the covered bridge. I’m not great at it yet but, I’m not clutching at the handlebars anymore either. This bike is much more capable in the dirt than I remember either of my Honda’s or the Suzuki. Of course an 1100cc Katana isn’t made to play in the dirt and, even at almost 30-years ago (mine was an 88’) could leave this BMW behind on the road like it was standing still.
I’ve decided to put off going to Nauvoo, IL for now. I’d have to really hit the miles and not have time to explore the way I’d like. I’ll have month after my mom’s birthday to play before meeting up with Jeremey and family in the Black Hills. Maybe I can swing up to Nauvoo then.
Haven’t been able to write as much as I’d like; these Iowa campers really like to visit and talk about motorcycles! As soon as one person would leave, another would show up. It was fun and pretty interesting listening to their biking stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home