Monday, May 18, 2009

Meltdown!

5/12 My mother's birthday. Happy Birthday Mom! I tried to call 3 times - really! Line was busy each time.

1030 Engine start. Christine went forward to raise the anchor. All normal. Same thing we've done daily for years every time we anchor (which is most of the time). Then, I heard an alarm buzzer. I didn't pay too much attention, the bilge pump often goes off just after we start the engine. This time the buzzer went on longer than usual. I stuck my head into the companionway and saw smoke coming out of the battery cupboard. Thinking it must be the anchor windlass frying the cables, I held my breath and jumped down to flip off the 100 amp breaker switch for the windlass then, back to the cockpit to shut down the engines. Buzzer continues, this time when I look into the cabin I see green acid smoke coming from the battery cupboard. Hold breath, jump down into smoke filled cabin, feel my way to the battery selector switch to disconnect the batteries. Battery selector switch just spins in my hand. Christine, who'd come aft to see what all the action was about, started fanning smoke out of the companionway with a towel, I, from on deck, pulled open the two hatches in the cabin and fore peak.

The Damage (see accompanying photo for composite picture of cable, battery and battery selector switch):
    - Battery selector switch fuzed and melted
    - Battery cable connecting House bank to common ground burned up - GONE!
    - Starter cable from battery selector switch to starter shorted out - less than 1/3 of its thickness remaining
    - Numerous fuses blown
    - One of the House bank batteries holed by melting cable

I pulled out the holed battery and joined the remaining House bank battery to the Starting battery (which wasn't injured during the meltdown). Then, I reconnected all the wires to their appropriate poles replacing fuses along the way. We were able to dinghy over to the Squirrel Cove community store and buy a replacement battery selector switch (an On/Off switch rather than the 1-All-2-Off switch we replaced).

I wrapped the shorted starter cable with insulating tape and rerouted it away from the place where it had worn through (it had been pinched between the engine blok and the motor mount - lots of vibration and wear). By now, we have power to most of the boat's electrical again. All the pumps, lights and radios, etc. seem to be working. I can't, however, get power to the ignition switch, oil pressure alarm and starter button.

Using a remote starter button I'd bought to use for tune-ups and valve adjustments I am able to start the engine. Starter appears to have survived just fine and engine is undamaged. We're a half-days motor from Lund where there's a marine repair shop and parts store. I called and spoke with one of the mechanics there. After I told him just about what's written above he thought a moment and told me that there must be a fused or missing wire someplace. On a Yanmar motor, the ignition system is seperate from the starter power circuit. Monday is a holiday and he can't help me before Wednesday. "You've got plenty of time, find that wire."

I'm looking. Seeing as how we're mobile, we decide to continue exploring Desolation Sound by moving over to Tenedos Bay

Bloodied but unbowed we are,
David and Christine and Sibs
SV Raven
Juneau, AK

Currently lying Tenedos Bay, BC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home