Wednesday, January 13, 2016

MC Raven Ride Report 35 - Butterflies are free

Would have been pretty uneventful but for the butterflies.

The entire way from Mag Bay I was riding through swarms of yellow butterflies. The locals call them Sulfurs. I'd started seeing them a couple of days before.

Just outside La Paz is a military checkpoint. Just seconds before I arrived at the checkpoint, one of the butterflies flew up the left sleeve of my jacket. Not wanting to alarm the guard by stopping, (never a good idea - alarming a serious young man with a big rifle) I proceeded up to the soldier (butterfly moving up the inside of my sleeve, flapping the entire time). "Donde va?" (Where are you going?) "De donde LaPaz? (giggle, giggle)." Soldier gives me a strange look (Butterfly makes his way to my armpit!) "Where are you from" (Eyeballs bulging grimace on face - must keep from laughing!) "Heh, heh, a donde Alaska." "Go ahead, derecho" "Buena's Dias" (giggle, giggle).

I rode 100 yards up the road and jumped out of my jacket. The butterfly, dazed and flying strangely, took off. "Fly, be free!"  I made it to La Paz without getting shot (always a good thing).

I rode through LaPaz and all the way out to the ferry terminal at Pichilingue then returned to find a place to spend the night.

On the way into town Id passed a campground? Campestre Maranantha - looked like a nice place so, I headed in. I ended up spending most of the week before language school and 2-nights after here at Campesstre Maranantha. Great staff, well kept, clean facility, short ride to Walmart and right on the route to LaPaz's malecon and sea front.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home