Sunday, December 6, 2015

MC Raven Trip Report 30 – Mexico Week 1




I left Margies and stopped at a copy store to get photocopies of the bike’s docs, my passport and driver’s license, etc. 

I’d heard that a national strike had been called for Wednesday so I thought crossing at Tecate might be easier.

As it happened, crossing was too easy! They just waved me through. No customs, no Immigration, no TVIP. Cool!
Just south of Tecate on Highway 3
In the Guadalupe Valley wine country. Those are individual cabins for rent along the hillside.

Until that is, I met up with a couple of other riders who said I really should have a travel permit/visa seeing as how I was south of Ensenada.


I spent the night camping on the sand at Coyote Cal’s then headed back up to San Diego where I crossed back into the US, had lunch at the San Yisidro MacDonalds (where the mass murder happened) then, headed back through Mexico customs again.

Once again, they would have been happy to just wave me through. I kept telling everyone who’d listen, “I want to go to LaPaz and catch the ferry to the mainland.” “What do I need?” Finally, I was pointed to the Immigration office where I got my passport stamped and a 180-day visa. Then through Customs and I’m on my way.

Customs had me press a big red button. When the light showed green, the Custom’s Officer just waved me through. I think that, if the light had shown red, I’d have had to submit to a full search.

Got all the way back to Coyote Cal’s (where I’d spent the night before) at Punta San Isidro (near Erendira) before I remembered that I still didn’t have my TVIP! Rather than go back to San Diego yet again, I’ll get that done in LaPaz.
Coyote Cal's

10/17 I spend a total of 3-nights at Coyote Cal’s just vegging and talking with a couple of guys from El Cajon and Chula Vista who’d ridden down on a 250cc dirt bikes. Steve and Gene – lifetime friends who have been coming down to Baja for years.

I had trouble sleeping. Spent much of the last 2 nights in the toilet crapping. Don’t think it was Montezuma’s revenge though – I had still been drinking my San Diego water and had been eating out of my own food stores to save money (except for those crab burritos) Cooked food is usually pretty safe and those burritos were well cooked.
A stop along the Baja 1000 trail. Somewhere in this picture is the sticker that Tom L gave me in Death Valley. Remember Tom L?

I’m thinking I was suffering from dehydration and too much heat! 2-days of driving to the border and back in near 100deg temps took its toll.
Another view of Coyote Cal's
See that flat spot? That's where I had my tent set up.


My view each morning. Not bad huh?

It was hard to do but I tore myself away from Coyote Cal’s and headed about 75-miles down the highway to the town of San Quintin and the Jardin Hotel and Restaurant.

I’d arranged with Steve and Gene to rendezvous there. We’d split the cost of a room and go to the restaurant for dinner. As they were going to ride the shoreline and back roads/trails I got there several hours before them.

By the time they’d arrived, the desk clerk had changed and Steve and Gene had taken an additional room before the clerk found my note. Steve chipped in for the additional cost of my room.
The Jardin is an oasis of green in the middle of tan, sand, and dust. A look at the pics below proves it. Might have been early in the season, but, my room (a family unit with 3-beds) was only $60 US per night (1000 pesos/night). A great deal in a beautiful setting.
 




S&G working on a starter gear problem.

While waiting for S&G to arrive, I was able to update this blog as far as Stonehenge, check my email and, Skype with Jeremey and family.

Not a bad week for my first week in Mexico.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home